Skip to main content

HOLD ON!!! by LINNIE LOVIN

HOLD ON!! by LINNIE LOVIN

"Yes I made it ,I made it " Joshua rejoiced

"Mama come and see o , I have finally been admitted" Joshua shouted in excitement as he reached home, handing over the admission letter to his mother

"Oh my son,this is good news, finally my son will go to the university" Mama Joshua said happily

"Yes o " Joshua replied.

Both mother and son where so happy about the news throughout the whole day.

Joshua was the only son of his single mother, he had finished secondary school 5years ago, and had since then been applying each year for admission,but he never got it. Everytime, the school's admission list comes up,his name was no where to be found and this always left him so depressed and sad. Some of his mates in secondary school were graduates preparing for NYSC, while others were in their final year. Whenever he sits to think on how far his mates have gone, tears never ceased to roll down his eyes and so many times he's felt so tired of life because of this. But now, his happiness has chased away those sad moments. He was now seeing himself in the University, believing to graduate and have a good work.

School was to resume in 3weeks time and Joshua, together with his mother were making so much preparations for his departure.

"Do you know how much is the school fees son? "

"Mama, I don't know yet, I'll ask a friend when I get to school today"

"okay do so and tell me, I hope the provisions I bought for you is enough"

"Yes mama " Joshua replied.

Later in the day, Joshua left for school in order to inquire about the fees.

"Mama, I asked about the fees today, they said .... " Joshua paused on entering the house. His eyes couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"No!!!!! No!!! Mama! Mama!!!! Somebody help!!!" joshua screamed.

His mom was lying lifeless on the ground in a pool of blood. Mama Joshua had been tidying and arranging things at home, she had kept a very heavy ceramics flower vase on top of the long standing cupboard in the sitting room. While she was mopping the sitting room, going backwards towards the cupboard, her body shook the cupboard such that the flower vase fell and landed on her head.

******************************

Joshua's mom's death was a great loss to him, his only mum was gone, just when he got admitted, now there was no one who would pay his school fees, he had nowhere to go to. His reason for living was shattered and his dreams to be in school was destroyed. His mom was buried, some months later and the house rent was due to expire.

Where will he go from here?

There's no uncle nor aunt that will help him...

How will he survive?

Where will he start from?

These thoughts occupied his mind, and he occasionally broke down in tears.

The landlady came and threw out his things mercilessly when the rent expired.

Joshua was left to roam the streets of Lagos, in search of shelter and work.

Few weeks later, he got employed as a house boy in Mr Effiong's house.

He was given the duty of cleaning the large one storey building.

Mr Effiong had three sons and a daughter. His wife was nice to Joshua at first but as time went on she began disliking Joshua for reasons no one knew. She was always complaining about everything he does, maltreated him, and occasionally used bad words at him which made him cry a lot at his quiet time. He was always wondering why life had decided to treat him this way and kept praying that his life should be taken away

*****************************

"please believe me, I didn't steal madam's money, I didn't steal it " Joshua pleaded.

Joshua was accused of stealing a huge amount of money by his madam. It was so serious that she called the police to arrest him.

He was innocently tortured by the police officers and was thrown into prison.

Since there was no one to speak on his behalf, nor anyone to bail him, Joshua was locked up in prison for 4years. A new Commissioner of police was appointed and during his tour to the prison, 50 inmates were released including Joshua.

When he was out, he didnt know where to go.

So he roamed the streets and found an abandoned uncompleted building, which was his resting place. He'll go out in the day to beg from people and return back at evening.

******************************

"There's this boy I've been trying to think where I saw him or know him from. He looks familiar ", Mr John told his wife

"Oh dear, Don't worry you'll recall soon" she replied.

John thought and thought and then recalled.

"oh yes, oh yes, I recall, Margaret's son. Oh that lady was so good to me, she's been the reason why I am where I am today dear. I heard she passed away, and her son was nowhere to be found. I saw him twice in her office. Oh yes, he's the one I've been seeing on the streets while passing to work. " John recalled.

"oh too sad, good that you've recalled " His wife said

"I'll look for him tomorrow, I can only pay back his late mom for all she did for me by helping him. I'll look for him" John said

*****************************

"What is life!, Begging to eat? Sleeping in this mosquito infested building? No home? No clothes? I'm tired of living. I just can't take it anymore, it has to end and now" Joshua said and took a rope.

******************************

"Please do you know the boy that comes here to beg?, he's tall, fair, quite hairy," John asked,

"No, I don't know " the seller said

"okay, thank u" John left to ask someone else, the person replied no.

He then left to ask someone else, luckily it was a lady who lived close to joshua's uncompleted building.

"oh, you mean that boy, hmm, neighbors woke up to find him dangling from a tree this morning "

"what? You mean he committed suicide? "John asked

"Something of that nature " the woman replied

******************************

And Joshua, out of frustration and depression gave up at the point where help was about locating him.

***************************

This is specially written for those who goes through depressions that make you feel like letting go.

Depressions that make you give up on life

Depressions that makes you loose hope in God

Depressions that seem to weigh you down

Depressions that leaves you in tears.

Though life situations may seem to weigh you down, never give up, just HOLD ON!!

That problem is just for a while,

That pains is just for a season

That trouble is just for a time

That sorrow is just for a hour

Don't give up yet

Upon the afflictions faced by Job, he never gave up, he still had his faith and trust in God. Job believed that what he was facing was JUST A BEND, NOT AN END

So dear ones,

HOLD ON!!!

YOUR BREAKTHROUGH, YOUR JOY, YOUR HAPPINESS, YOUR REASON TO LIVE IS ON THE WAY

And it will surely come to you, Only if you HOLD ON!!!

BELIEVE IN GOD

Stay Blessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NIGERIAN TALE: LIFE AFTER COVID-19 (THE FUTURE)

 A NIGERIAN TALE: LIFE AFTER COVID-19 (THE FUTURE) *COVID-19 BEFORE IT ALL BEGAN    Once upon a time, in a country called Nigeria, before the existence of a virus called CORONAVIRUS aka COVID-19. Everywhere was lively and full of momentum. Workers were going about their normal duties, businessmen/women were busy with their businesses, students were attending classes, hustlers were hustling. The atmosphere was awesome. BUT THEN..........................the story change.................Nigeria recorded it own cases of COVID-19............................ *DURING THE ERA OF COVID-19    Businesses were closed, workers were asked to stay at home, students were asked to stay safe and Live safe at their homes, all booming activities were suspended.    As the number of infected persons kept increasing, curfew was declared, Restriction of movement became the order of the day, social distancing of 2 meters was imposed, social gatherings was banned...

Locked In Payback by Linnie Lovin

"Please sir, these two results are really important to me, please I want you to have a recheck on it, I know I can never have a D in both, please Sir help me" Joe begged "My friend, will you get out of my office, or do you want to teach me how to mark? What nonsense!! You had a D, take it or leave it, it can't be changed!!!" Professor Tunde shouted Joe pleaded and pleaded, but all fell on deaf ears. Prof. Tunde was a strict and hard lecturer in the department of Philosophy. He barely passed his students. On the other hand, Joe was a final year student of the department of Philosophy, who had a dream of graduating with a first class. He had struggled to make a Cgpa of 4.6, but with the release of his last two results handled by Prof. Tunde, his Cgpa had dropped to 4.45. And this terminates his dream of graduating with a first class. Joe was heart-broken. However, since nothing could be done to change the mind of Prof Tunde, Joe graduated with a second cla...

Akwa Ibom at 33

It gives me great pleasure to greet all the Akwa Ibomites living in the country and abroad, on this great day of the 33rd Anniversary Day Celebration. Today September 23rd fills us with the excitement of unfurling the tricolour of our state's flag (Orange, White, Green), Emblem, Creed and also taking part in celebrations and listening to patriotic songs.   On this day, the youth of Akwa Ibom should feel the special pride of being citizens of a free and great state marching onwards to greatness.  We shall forever remember our freedom fighters, philanthropist and martyrs whose sacrifices have enabled us to live in an independent state.  I am proudly an Akwa Ibomites My Akwa Ibom — the land of promise  Happy Akwa Ibom @33 Long Live Akwa Ibomites  Dakkadda to Greatness